How safe are you & your family?
How can you protect the people & things you love?
SafetyMeasur.es helps you to understand the risk factors in your area, and helps to prepare you for how to make you and your family safer. It to make communities more resilient against these increasing everyday risks of flood, crime and road safety concerns. It educates them about their risk factors in an easy, accessible and visual way, assesses some of the safety measures they have in place, and provides recommendations on how to improve these safety measures.
It uses IAG flood risk data, CSA Victorian crime data and VicRoads crash data to help you to understand your risks, and raises awareness of support services to help you implement better safety measures for your home, car & family.
The site presents users with their safety measures rating, which is made up of their location rating and their preparedness rating combined. After users have calculated their safety measures rating, they are also presented with some deeper insights relevant to their location for them to explore. Finally, their safety measures rating can be shared on Facebook, to encourage others to take the assessment and stay safe.
The app currently assesses the users’ flood risk, crime and road safety factors, and can be very easily extended to many more relevant data sets given more time.
We hope to tell the users a story about their location’s safety risks in a way that engages them, with the ultimate goal of save lives through more educated, prepared and resilient families and homes.
The tool also has potential commercial applications. By reaching users and making them aware of their risk factors, the tips provided could be used as leads for insurance provider assessments, home security service providers and car service aggregators.
We believe this project is eligible for a number of prizes:
- Community resilience hack - it helps people to understand the risk factors they face, enables them to be safer, and connects them with relevant support services
- IAG Flood Risk - this data is core to the application, and both the API and summarised data is used in a way that is very relevant to the everyday person
- Storytelling hack - it paints a picture of what people's risks are based on their location, and helps to take them on a journey to educate them that safety is about what you do, not just where you live.
- Commercially viable hack - the application can use it's awareness generation to create leads for insurance provider assessments, home security service providers and car servicing aggregators, and could be monetized for this purpose.
- Entrepreneurial hack - as above, for its monetization potential.
- Data intelligence hack - bringing together different data sets to help businesses with geographical interests to understand what the risk factors are for different areas.
- Location data - for its mashing of different location-based datasets and location-centric concept.
Thank you for your consideration, and stay safe!