Your Local Opinion lets members of the community review and comment on public assets in the community, providing knowledge to others about the different levels of cleanliness, family friendliness, etc. of the asset.
Why we chose this:
All of us within the team have been in the situation multiple times throughout our lives where we have wanted or needed to use a public facility but did not know where a clean, safe or friendly one was located near us. We have also seen a number of public facilities that appear neglected, run down or a little "dodgy" that we would love to see given new life with a quick renovation to brighten our town. We're sure there are many other members of the community who have similar opinions and so, using open data we set out to solve this issue.
Who will use it & what it will do for them:
Active members of the community:
- People who are looking for a disability access restroom will be able to find the most accessible one in their area with the added luxury or selecting extra benefits such as cleanliness and safety.
- Families will know which parks are best suited to them given information about change rooms for young children and general hygiene/cleanliness of the area
- Community members will know the safest place to catch a bus from at night with details such as general security/safety of the area or street and whether the bus stop is well lit at night.
- All users are able to leave a review and rating based on several main categories that combine to form an overall place/location rating. If the user has additional information they would like to add, they can add a comment to the review detailing their experience and opinions. This allows community members to help each other find the most suitable locations for their needs in ways such as the ones listed above and so many more.
Government & community bodies:
- Information from users reviews & ratings can easily be translated into a admin dashboard for government bodies such as councils for simple and efficient viewing about both general issues with a public asset they own or more specific issues in regard to safety, maintenance and many other things that need to be address urgently that they might otherwise not here about for a long period of time which could result in a number of long term issues.
- Information about cleanliness in a admin dashboard could also provide and indication to management about the level of attention cleaners are giving to particular assets.
- Information about safety in an admin panel could inform the council or other body that security needs improving in the area which could take a number of forms such as lighting (may also be indicated that there is a lack of in the dashboard), security personnel, surveillance cameras, etc.
The above only outlines a few of the many possibilities and user scenarios that this application, built with open data, can help to improve or solve and given time, could expand into something on an national or even global scale given that the data is made readily accessible meaning no matter where you are, young or old, if your in a large group or on your own, if you have special needs or just need the bathroom, you will always know the best place to go.