ABC News mashup is a web based application that presents a geo-spacial representation of the news and events in areas relevant to you.
Users are able to filter news and events by their intrests, this then populates a map with pin-point data of the news and events in locations that users are intrested in. Once the user finds a story that they're intrested in they can then follow through the link on the location point to view the source and find more information on the story.
To create ABC News mashup we hacked together datasets from ABC, Newscorp, Geelong events and IP Australia.
Mandatory elements submitted in Hackerspace on time
We have submitted our github repo: https://github.com/PeterPlucinski/news-data-map/tree/gh-pages and our google drive folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6ty7-kub8P9a3lzanNEamFpUEU&usp=...
- relevance to the prize category description
- ABC news content
- We have found a new way of spacialy interacting with ABC news content, which also mashes up ABC data with non-abc data.
- Creative Humanities Hack
- We have transformed the raw data from more than "2 official dataset that are Open Government data" sources into an interactive map that makes the data more accesible.
- Fresh Data Hack
- Our project makes use of the updating Geelong events RSS feed and the news corp api to make our web-app dynamic and provides the community with updated information on news and events.
- Inspired by research
- Our web-app corelates nsw crime statistics with ABC stories on disasters to see the corelation between the two.
- IP Rights
- Our web-app geo-spacially represents data from the IP Australia dataset and shows it alongside ABC news articles.
- Location data
- Our web-app geo-spacially hacks the location data from many datasources.
- No Boundaries Hack
- We use data from both NSW(nsw crime) and VIC(geelong events) to paint a clear picture
- Geelong open data creative challenge
- Our web-app uses Geelong event data to geo-spacially display events around geelong.
- ABC news content
- originality of concept, visual design and usability
Our web-app is a unique mix of data with user-friendly viewing point and click operation , that can't be found anywhere else.
Our web-app provides an interactive conduit for members of the public to interact with open data.
degree to which open data has been used
We have managed to incorporate 6 diffrent datasets into our web application.
technical or creative skills demonstrated
From our webapp,github and video you can seeextensive technical and creative skills were demonstrated on this project.